Thursday, June 3, 2010

Louisville, KY

There's a recondite wickedness hidden in the Louisville suburbs, something personal and insidious that encourages sensations of a terrible, abstruse loneliness in this world. I've felt this awareness many times in my travels and I'm reminded of the Jataka canon, my conciousness warping the intent and making it far more sinister (as my mind often will); wondering if I might have been a deer carved up by degenerate hill children who were interested in the anatomy and suffering of a living and dying organism in some dim and distant past? In other words, the Louisville suburbs are incredible and I highly recommend you visiting; after all there are precious few times when profanity is made flesh.

Driving around Downtown Louisville, you begin to understand you begin to understand why Muhammad Ali was so brazen and steeled. It's a hopeless place, marked by absurd opulence that contrasts with heart breaking poverty and bordered by soulless strip malls. It must have been necessary to develop that attitude to combat the brutal ugliness.

I had dinner at Ramsi's Cafe; a tiny outdoor Egyptian restauraunt. I ordered Kusheri: essentially a pasta dish with lentils, rice, browned onions and garlic. Bravo Ramsi's! I washed it down with a Mint Julep (it's fucking Louisville, champ; even Middle Eastern restauraunts have Mint Julep...)

One thing I truly admire about Louisville is the lack of landscaping. Even in the decadent upper class suburbs the midway was overgrown with waist high weeds, giving the entire town a very dangerous and pagan appearance. 64 (a major highway that passes through Louisville) could have been mistaken for a dark, rolling country highway. Three cheers for the City engineers of Louisville for not making the bitter mistake of sanitizing it's appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment